Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Fried Green Tomatoes


I am not trying to make this a blog about cooking but I have to share this really yummy and very simple idea I found in one of my Southern Living magazines...


Fried Green Tomato (BLT) Poboys


Slice green tomatoes into 1 c. milk or buttermilk (as recipe called for)

Dip into batter of 1/2 c. flour and cajun seasoning, (I used Southwest Seasoning from Tupperware, it has jalapeno)

Fry tomatoes in butter (or oil if you prefer)


Fry bacon


Toast hoagie bread lightly in oven.


Spread Generous amount of Miracle Whip on the warm hoagie buns then layer them with tomatoes, bacon and shredded lettuce.


The jalapeno seasoning mingles very nicely with the crisp tang of the green tomatoes. The taste is light, yet with a little kick. You could add extra spice if you like but these were great just the way they were. I'd never had fried green tomatoes before so this was a first and I will definetely look forward to trying this again. I used the last of my home grown tomatoes for this so I will have to wait till next season for green ones.
Try it and let me know what you think!

No comments: