Sunday, August 27, 2006

I desperately need some advice

I beg of you folks out in blog land - PLEASE come out of lurkdome and give me some advice on what to do about buying a new camcorder. Our current one is a 2000 model Sony 8mm and it used to be able to be downloaded onto our computer for video editing but I used that feature once during the entire time I've owned it and somewhere in the midst of our many moves and computer upgrades we've lost the software to make it work on an editing program. So all those years of the kids growing up are lost unless I can find a program that can edit them onto DVD...

Our newest dilemma is what camera to upgrade to for our trip to China. I would like to have a professional do the video but I would also like to be able to edit and burn my own DVDs of family events as well. What kind of camera has all the features I need to take good video, edit it on my computer for DVD and still be easy to use?

I am really researching the JVC Everio Mig77 and the Sony 100 of similar features. The prices are way up there and we can not order them online so I am thinking of buying a simple mini DV camera instead and waiting until the prices go down on the JVC model before I take the plunge on a hard drive camera.

What should I do? Please tell me what camcorder you use and the features you love and hate most about it. I'm forever in your debt fellow DIY photo editors. Thank you with every megapixel of my heart :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let's see: I bought a Panasonic NV-GS27 recently (here:http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000EN3WL2/sr=8-1/qid=1156709037/ref=pd_ka_1/303-4956567-4005040?ie=UTF8&s=gateway) and I am very happy with it. You can use a Firewire cable to connect it to your Computer and simply use software like Adobe Premiere Elements to edit, add music and burn the film on a DVD. Even easier: a mac with the iLife software :-)! You can usually get pretty cheap software at 2001 Http://www.zweitausendeins.de, one of my favorite shops here in Germany! Good luck with deciding (oh, and I always use Stiftung Warentest to figure out what to buy!).