Saturday, June 17, 2006

Ode to summer

For maybe just a moment and the moment will be gone, but for one brief moment the sun has graciously blessed us with it's presence and the air has warmed to moderately high warm temps. It is Fabulous!!! I've been soaking up as much as my pale, freckled skin will endure for as many moments as I can before I worry that I will become a lobster hovering in the shade for the remainder of the sun's visit here. I try to moderate myself and not try to soak it all up in one sitting like I'd love to do. It would be nice to just fall asleep in the warmth of the sun, with the breeze softly blowing kisses across my cheek and the birds singing a sweet lullabye in the trees. If only for a moment, then the moments gone...ahh sweet sweet summer. Please don't get away from me again. I cherish every moment of your visit and mourn for you desperately when you are gone. Why must you go? Can't you see you bring happiness and laughter? Can't you see how many rush outdoors on those gorgeous sun filled days? I almost hit at least a dozen hikers and bikers on the roads today - they were everywhere! Filling up every crook and turn of these windy, hills in the Eifel. I can't blame them for taking the chance to make the road their pathway to solar solace. It's been a great day, a beautiful day and a day to get out and explore and unwind. We explored many roads today (ok I was a little lost) but found many treasures along the way. The Eifel region is breathtakingly beautiful when the sun shines. Steeply crooked roads give way to lush fertile valleys with villages tucked inside them like something in a painting. Time slows to a crawl here and you share a lane barely the width of your car with a tractor loaded with plow blades sticking out each side. Sleepy cattle laze and graze by the roadside, you occasionally see a herd of deer the size of large dogs...it's so tranquil here you would not think the world was anything but a beautiful place. Life is good here...during summer anyway :)

No comments: